The adventures of Sahan Rohanatilaka.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day Two. Jiu Jitsu.

Someone asked me today how my vacation is going. I thought about this for a while, and I answered that it was moving steadily. I haven't fallen behind, nor am I impressing myself at this point. I did actually get a lot done today; I'd say exactly on par with what I expected to accomplish.

I woke up a bit late because of all the napping I did yesterday. And looking at the clock now I would say tomorrow will turn out to be a similar morning. Seeing Tariq made me very happy today. It's not often I get to share my thoughts with him, and to hear of his doings, so today I definitely got my fill. We spent a good portion of the afternoon roaming Square One. I found out today that there's a Lutheran Church inside the mall, and it had been there since the late '70s. It's tucked away beside the Food Court. I've also noticed how many Asian teenagers roam Square One now. With their bony legs and large shorts they scurry about, often with an equally bony boyfriend in hand.

With our outing coming to an end, I headed back home where Ruth and Alex met me for a session of Boot Camp. But tonight was a surprise. Tonight we replaced Boot Camp with an evening of Jiu Jitsu. It was as intense as I remembered it. It had been weeks since I've grappled with anyone, and my body writhed and cramped in pain, adjusting to the level of strain. During the Triangle Chokes my calves cramped and I had to stop, twice. When I think back on all the training I did months ago, I begin to hate how much I've degraded. Despite all the cardio and muscle conditioning I can do alone, I could never practice grappling or kickboxing by myself. Tonight was a reminder of where I used to be in this game. My body remembered the pain, it came back to me like an old friend. Towards the end of the 2 hours I felt my body getting used to the pains, as it should be. I can only hope this is the worst I'd be, and that after today I will start to improve, especially as I go into the dojo on Wednesday.

I realize today's was a shit post. I'm so tired. After coming home from dinner I spent a couple of hours job hunting. I managed to apply for one job. It's good enough. The quota is filled. And right now it's 3 am and I need sleep.

Productivity: 8
Pain: 9
Morality: 2

No comments: