The adventures of Sahan Rohanatilaka.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Cover Letter.

Victor Von Doom
Doomstadt, Latveria

Human Resources


Dear Dr. Doom,

I am seeking to apply as an Electronics Engineer for a full time position at your robotics facility in Doomstadt. Designing electronic systems and optimizing through software simulation is a personal interest of mine. My extensive knowledge of electrical circuit design and experience in robotics would be an asset to your engineering team.

Despite your landlocked country's numerous trade embargoes - obviously perpetrated by enemies of democracy and peace - you have single-handedly maintained a strong technology sector as can be seen by your vast armada of Doombots. This type of management can only be attributed to the wealth of intellect and polymathic skill of its glorious leader. You will find that I too am learned in a multitude of arts and possess a multifaceted skillset. Throughout my years at McMaster University I have worked with computing programs such as Matlab for finite element analysis; Multisim for schematic circuit design; AutoCAD for 2D and 3D drafting; and computing languages like C and Assembly in many of the projects I undertook.

I too have had such moments.
I understand that your armour is of your own design. This is a trait of a true leader: not to allow for chinks by giving the responsibility to lackeys and peasants. Like your majesty, I too possess leadership qualities and I enjoy building from my hands. As such, I have designed and built electronic systems, from optical guidance systems to a working robotic vehicle where I undertook the responsibility of a group leader.

Today's robots utilize mechanical, electronic, and software systems that work in union to perform specific tasks. Although your Doombots and other machinery appear to be mostly governed by the principles of steam-power and alchemy, I believe my unique microsystems background will be a great boon to your army. I have a thorough understanding of RS-232 and PCI interfaces, having used them in the building of a spectrum analyzer, and data analysis using microcontrollers. You might find that controlling the world with such a vast army troublesome while managing the issues of your own nation. But possessing a strong background in digital communication I am also equipped with a thorough understanding of RF circuit design, and analog and digital signal processing. With a constant radio connection you can lead your armada of mechanical troops from the convenience of your throne in Castle Doom!

Doombots could perform better with Arduino microcontrollers.
As a world leader you have had notable professional disagreements with fellow colleagues. Although imprisoning the Fantastic Four in the depths of your dungeons might have been the best course of action at the time, I believe I can provide dispute resolution techniques which can avoid costly battles. I have worked in group environments to solve group disagreements, where I have learned to both lead and to co-operate among teammates. Despite the doubts you're sure to have regarding my ability to work with Team Doom, I have honed my communication skills through years of technical presentations, design proposals, and publishing technical reports. I now feel confident in my ability to be both comfortable and productive in any engineering group environment.

Doctor, I am keen to use my skills for your government, and I believe I can be a strong member of your engineering team. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Sahan Rohanatilaka

No comments: